SECOND ANNUAL CONFERENCE & MEETING
NOVEMBER 02 - 04, 2001
PARSIPPANY, NEW JERSEY
ROCKAWAY RIVER COUNTRY CLUB
DENVILLE, NEW JERSEY
Hampton Inn, Parsippany, New Jersey, USA
* Rockaway River Country Club, Denville, New Jersey, USA.
Please, note that twenty-two double/queen-bed rooms have been reserved for members and attendees. Each room has two comfortable Queen-sized beds. More rooms will be added if required. Rates: $72.00 in US funds.
Should you elect to attend this event, I suggest that you dial (973) 263-0095, and ask for Ms. Patricia Bland, and mention Urhobo Historical Society Annual Meeting & Conference, to confirm your individual reservations, before August 31, 2001
While delegates will lodge at the Hampton Inn in Parsippany, the conference proceedings will take place at the Rockaway River Country Club, Denville, New Jersey, about 1.5 miles from the Hampton Inn.
Directions to Parsippany, NJ:
* From Eastbound Route 1-80: Take 1-80 East to Exit 38 Denville/46 East. Go 3 miles on route 46 East. Hotel is on right hand side.
* From Westbound Route 1-80: Take 1-80 West to Exit 42 (Route 202 Morris Plains/Route 46 Parsippany). Bear right at sign for Parsippany Exit 42B (Cherry Hill Road). Proceed 0.5 miles on cherry Hill Road. At street sign for Old Cherry Hill road, turn left. Hampton Inn parking lot is located over to your right.
* From Newark Airport: Take Route 1-78 West to Route 24 Westbound to Route 1-287 North. Take 1-287 North to Exit 41B (Route 1-80 Westbound). Proceed as from Westbound Route 1-80.
About the Urhobo Historical Society
Established in August 1999, the UHS is a forum for the publication of Urhobo History and Culture. Besides its defence of Urhobo interest in the political sphere, it also provides a valuable documentation of Urhobo History & Culture hitherto unknown in the cyberspace. Through your contributions, the web site of the UHS has emerged as an important reference point for Urhobo History and Culture in the cyberspace. The UHS has also become a powerful voice in defence of Niger Delta interests. We thank you all for this development.
Since our First Annual Conference and Meeting in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, in November 2000, events of great significance have occurred in Nigeria with profound implications for Urhobo and the Niger Delta. We will attempt to examine these events at the 2nd Annual Conference & Meeting. The agenda is designed to serve this purpose.
Senator David O. Dafinone was the Keynote Speaker at the First Annual Conference & Meeting. It is expected that several prominent Urhobo leaders will participate at the Second Annual Conference & Meeting. Arrangements for a major Urhobo leader to address the Conference as a Keynote Speaker are currently under way.
2001 (Venue: Hampton Inn, Parsippany, NJ)
(a) 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.: Delegates check in
(b) 7:00 p.m.: Editorial & Management Board meeting
(c) 8:00 p.m.: Chairman's Address
2001 (Venue: Rockaway River Country Club, Denville, NJ. 1.5 miles from
(a) 7:00 a.m. Breakfast. & Registration
(b) 8:30 a.m.: Opening Prayers
(c) 9:00 a.m. Keynote Address
(d) 10:00 Am.: Plenary Session: (Special Guest Speaker to be confirmed)
(1) Origins of the Urhobo. (2) Urhobo and Her Neighbours.(e) 12:30 p.m.: Group Lunch: Luncheon Address (Speaker to be announced.)
2000 (Venue: Rockaway River Country Club)
(a) 7:00 a.m. Breakfast
(b) 8:15 Am. Annual General Meeting. Communiqué
$50.00 (Family rate, including children under 18 years old)
2. $10.00 Students (18 years and above)
Call for Papers
You are invited to present papers on any of the topics indicated above. If you would like to present a paper, but cannot attend, you can designate someone who is attending to present your paper for you. It would be greatly appreciated if you could advise me of your availability to attend the Meeting & Conference as soon as possible, but not later than July 15, 2001.
Furthermore, if you intend to present a paper, please send me a two-page abstract of your proposed paper not later than August 15, 2000.
Thank you for your service to Urhoboland.
O. Igho Natufe
Deputy Chair, UHS
Chair, Conference Committee